- How does MT Customization work?
- Available providers to train
- Create a project
- How to make sure your data is correct
- Training process
Note: at the moment, MT Studio supports only Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers.
How does MT customization work?
When you train a custom MT model, you customize a provider's existing MT model to make it translate specific content in a specific way. To customize a model, you need to give it parallel text segments: source texts and translations into a target language. The model processes the segments and learns to translate words and phrases in a way that you want it to.
Compared to stock MT models, custom models produce translations that are closer to reference translations.
With Intento MT Studio projects you can train multiple models from MT providers, and evaluate them in one simple interface.
Available providers to train
Important! To train models, you need to have a direct contract with the MT provider.
To use training with Intento - you need connected accounts with all providers whose models you want to customize.
With Intento MT Studio you can now train custom models of the following providers:
Minimum number of segments for training
To connect a Google account, follow the instructions here.
The price of training a Google model depends on the amount of training data. The minimum is approximately $100 and the maximum per training is fixed at $300.
To connect a ModernMT account, follow the instructions here.
Create a project
- Visit Intento MT Studio
- Select Create project → Train & Evaluate models.
- Enter a name for your new project and the source and target languages.
- Upload files with parallel data (translation memory) and process it. How to make sure your data is correct?
- Choose a provider in the Provider field
- Choose an account in the Connected account field. If you're having trouble with accounts, contact your organization's admin or Intento support.
- To train a model from another provider, select Add provider and choose another provider and connected account.
- Select Create project
How to make sure your data is correct
MT Studio works with tmx, csv, and tsv files.
- csv and tsv files must contain only two columns: source and target. There must not be any other columns in the file.
- tmx files must contain only two languages:
- the first will be the source language
- the second will be the target language
After you start training, MT Studio shows the status of your models:
- Completed if the model is ready
- In progress if it's still training. While the training is in progress - the user can Cancel the process.
- If training has failed, you'll see Error and a redo arrow — select the arrow to start training again.
With trained models, it is easy to make translations for further deep evaluation.